Here are some moving tips that are designed to help plan, organize and implement relocations.
Schedule Is The Key
- When moving, a moving schedule is the key as it helps to keep things organized. As soon as you know that you are moving, begin planning. Start to clear out drawers, dressers, and cupboards at least two weeks in advance. This allows you time to sort through things and to begin to pack in at a steady pace, eliminating the stress. You should also follow a timeline with things such as:
- Rent a Ute or Truck at least two weeks in advance of moving day. Always choose companies that are properly insured and can provide a copy of their insurance policy. Also, enquire about the type of equipment and moving supplies they offer.
- Don’t forget to disconnect your cable and phone as well as to have it scheduled to be hooked up at your new place. Also, utilities should be schedule for disconnection at your current residence and connected to your new location.
- One week before moving day put in your change of address.
- Don’t pack cleaning supplies until you have packed the last box in the moving truck.
- Defrost the refrigerator no less than 24 hours before moving day.
- Arrange for packing material. You can purchase packing material from National Storage, who are in partnership with us.
There Will Be Plenty of Things To Overlook So Don’t Forget…
- Have plenty of Ziplock bags for furniture and computer hardware. Label the bag and attach to the piece. This will end the chaos when reassembling the furniture and items.
- Pull out the owner’s manuals to all big appliances and read any special moving instructions. This applies particularly to appliances like washing machines that require special handling.
- Remove the artwork from walls, clean out medicine cabinets, disconnect electronics and pack yard items.
- Do not attempt to pack items that cannot be legally transported. These items include flammables, ammunition, bottled gasses, and explosives.
- Don’t forget to pack your essential bag to have all the things you’ll need the first night in one convenient box. Include toilet paper, toothbrushes, phone charges, snacks and beverages and a change of clothing.
- Lots of snacks and beverages for everyone on moving day.
- Have moving blankets and felt pads to protect floors while moving furniture and heavy boxes.
Moving does require a great deal of thought and organization. Take the above tips and put them to good use to keep your move to schedule and eliminate unnecessary stress. For more information on moving or to reserve a Ute or Truck Rental for the big day, contact us at the number below or reserve a vehicle online.
Call 02 8039 6196.